Non-Spliced from Footing to Eave – Full Mechanical Connections
is improved because each individual member of the column is treated before it is laminated together, giving you a column which is virtually treated all the way through. Other companies do not offer a fully treated column.
is attained because these columns are composed of #1 Southern Pine with a design bending stress of 1897 psi. Compared to the old #2 6” x 6” column, which has a bending stress of only 850 psi, the Cleary Non-Spliced Laminated Treated Column is exceptional.
By not relying on a process-dependant glued connection Cleary also ensures that the column will not deteriorate in constant contact with ground moisture.
Cleary Building Corp. goes one step further than most builders
because they use a continuous, non-spliced laminated treated column from footing to eave on the sidewall. It costs a little more to treat the column from footing to the eave but Cleary Building Corp. knows the extra strength is worth it. Tests have shown that the Cleary Building Corp non-spliced laminated treated column is approximately twice as strong as a spliced laminated treated column.
This column also offers 14% more section area, and therefore 14% more strength, than a comparable Glu-Lam column.
Summary of Cleary Column Test
On June 28, 1991 Cleary Building Corp conducted tests on three different types of columns being used in today’s Post-Frame buildings. The columns tested were:
- Solid 6” x 6” treated column #2 Southern Pine
- Spliced Laminated Treated column consisting of 3 – 2” x 6” #1 Southern Pine. The spliced joints were offset from each other by 24” and nailed with 2 – 10d spikes every 4”.
- Cleary Non-spliced Laminated Treated column consisting of 3 – 2” x 6” #1 Southern Pine. The outer plies of columns that are 24’ long or less shall extend without a splice from the footing to the eave height.
The following is a summary of those test results:
|Column Type||TOTAL LOAD|
FAILURE – LBS.
AT 4,320 LBS.
|EQUIVALENT WIND VELOCITY AT ULTIMATE LOAD|
|Spliced Laminated||4,320 lbs||2.75”||85 mph|
|Solid 6” x 6”||6,912 lbs||2.25”||108 mph|
|Glu-Lam||9,095 lbs*||2.64”*||119 mph*|
|Cleary Non-Spliced Laminated column||10,368 lbs||2”||127 mph|
These tests show:
- The solid 6” x 6” column to be 1.6 times stronger than the spliced laminated column.
- The Cleary Non-spliced Laminated Treated column is 1.5 times stronger than the solid 6” x 6” column and2.4 times stronger than the spliced laminated column.
- These tests are also consistent with tests previously run by the University of Wisconsin.
- * – Calculated values based on cross sectional area reduction of 6” x 6” Glu-Lam column.
Strongest Column in the Industry
50 Year Column Warranty Against Rot and Decay
- Continuous Non-Spliced treated column from Footing to Eave on the sidewall.
- Full length treated column for better preservation. Other companies do not offer a fully treated column.
- Cleary ensures that the column will not deteriorate in constant contact with ground moisture.
- Cleary does not rely on a process dependent on a glued and spliced connection.
- Engineered and Manufactured by Cleary to the highest standards using state-of-the-art equipment.
- Resistant to warping and twisting for superior product consistency.
- Available in Multiple Plys of 2” x 6”, 2” x 8”, and 2” x 10”
- Cleary nailed columns provide a superior bond when compared to glue.
The Cleary Non-spliced Laminated Treated column consists of #1 Southern Pine.
- The Cleary Non-spliced Laminated Treated column is 150% stronger than the solid 6″ x 6″ column and 240% stronger than the spliced laminated column.
- The Cleary Non-spliced Laminated Treated column is 114% stronger than the Glu-Lam column.